Everybody here comes from somewhere...

Everybody here comes from somewhere. Somewhere they'd just as soon forget?


As a kid growing up in the 70's & 80's in a council estate in Antrim, Northern Ireland we were typical of most families. We had little disposable income, much like all the families around us. It was life as we knew it. 


I grew up there, but I grew as a person when I moved away. 


In November 2004 I made a big step. I moved away from Antrim, away from Northern Ireland. I moved to the south east of England. It was a hugely daunting experience - damn scary to be honest, after all I was just a guy from a small town in a small country stepping out "into the big bad world". 


So what changed? Well, everything changed. I have experienced so much in the last 13.5 years. It re-ignited a sense of adventure in me. One that had become stifled, but yearned to be explored. 


I have friends that have stayed back home, because they love it there. My family have only ever lived in and around my hometown. It is a beautiful country, but the world is a big place with lots of beautiful countries. Get out there and explore. Even if just for a short period of your life live somewhere different to where you grew up. You'll be surprised just how much it can change your outlook on life. How many different opportunities there are there for you to have. 


Be proud of where you are from. Let it define you, but don't ever let it restrict you. 


Get up, get out, be what you are!


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com


Comments