No more heroes?

Like many I've been to watch the film 'Dunkirk'. Whilst it is a very well made piece of cinematography, it doesn't quite grasp the scale of what happened. However, it sets out to portray the brutality of what happened. For many it resulted in death, and for those lucky enough to survive it will undoubtably have brought many nightmares of watching friends mown down. 


I've walked along the Normandy beaches. Trying to fathom just what these guys faced coming off the landing craft and trying to make it across the vast area of the beach to some relative form of safety in the dunes. Not to mention being rained down on by enemy fire from the pillboxes above. 


I guess the point I am trying to make is these guys were true heroes. Not overpaid sports people, not mediocre millionaire singers, nor reality rejects. This was reality, this was humanity and inhumanity faced every day for hundreds of thousands. 


I am very proud to have a war hero in my ancestry. William George Wray, my great Uncle (and with whom I share his middle name) was one of Sgt Yorks men. On 8th October 1918 in Argonne, a mere group of 9 managed to launch an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking 35 machine guns, killing at least 25 enemy soldiers, and capturing 132. 


Imagine for a moment the terror those guys faced, but their bravery pushed them beyond the realms of fear and to a victory that is still as remarkable now as it was 99 years ago. 


Real heroes make a difference, don't idolise anyone who doesn't. 


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com


Comments