Never too old to be up the front...

Why lose the exuberance and the energy of youth? Last night I went to a gig, I go to lots of gigs, but last night I went to a gig that I have wanted to go to since my teens. I went to see the legendary American punk outfit Dead Kennedys. 

These guys were part of my play list from my formative music days. I suppose like a lot of kids my age I was into rock and punk. However, the thing is - I still am. To say I was excited about this gig is an understatement. There are very few bands that I have ‘been into’ that I haven’t managed to see, even if it’s taken me nearly 30yrs in this case. Having been at the front for this gig I know why I still love this type of music. It was a performance that was full of energy from start to finish. 

When I listen to music, it takes me on a journey. Especially with rock and punk, it takes me back to being in my teens, my twenties, my thirties, and now into my forties. I still feel like I’m in my twenties, maybe with the exception of creaking knees and random ‘old man noises’ I sometimes find myself making when I get up in the mornings. The body may have a few more miles on the clock than it did when I was twenty, but my mind still has the same exuberance for music, for life, and for everything I do. 

Being young at heart, and young of mind means that I will never grow old. I point blank refuse to. Neither should I. It’s ok to get older and have responsibilities, we all have responsibilities regardless of our age. Doesn’t matter if it’s children, financial, a job or even our responsibility to try our best to look after this world we live in. But how you carry responsibility is the measure of how you adapt to life, how you can keep your energised outlook and keep going each and every day.

A mind is too beautiful a thing to waste. Keep yours filled with the exuberance of youth. The music should never be too loud and the smiles should never be too far between. 

Here’s to growing old disgracefully. You’re never too old to be up the front - old punks and rockers never die...

Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x

I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter
happydamnfriday@outlook.com
happydamnfriday@yahoo.com



Comments