Nowhere fast...?

Ever have one of those journeys that sees you sit still in traffic for seems like an eternity? I had one on Tuesday morning on my way to work. 


I have various routes I can, and do take. Yet I choose to travel along the M3 motorway towards London. Nothing strange about that, apart from even at 7am I found myself stuck in over 6 miles of queuing traffic. Thankfully nobody was hurt, it was a minor accident that simply snagged up 5 lanes of the motorway. 


Sometimes I believe this happens to give me time to think. To put me in a situation where I can do nothing, so a good time to think about anything. To plan, to dream and to visualise what I want or need. 


For most this would be an infuriating and stressful journey. The added pressure of getting to work and the knowledge of being late. For me, I don’t let it get to me. I gave up on being stressed with traffic a long time ago when I had my first job in London. Even on a good day, London traffic can take an hour to go 1 mile. 


Don’t get me wrong, I am very conscientious about time keeping, and anyone who knows me knows I hate being late. The difference is, if it is out of my control I do not get stressed. An email or phone call to relay the status of my journey and that is as much as I, or anyone else can do. 


This rule is something I also apply to life. I put everything into everything I have and do, but if it becomes beyond my control I will not get stressed because with every good intention or pulling my hair out there is nothing I can do at that moment in time. I will be very aware of what is happening and actively monitoring the situation, looking for changes that can be made as things progress, but all in the knowledge that becoming stressed will have no bearing in the outcome - other than to make me physically and emotionally drained. It’s at that point the situation, the traffic jam is still the same and all that’s changed is I have made myself ill. 


Think about it, no traffic jam has lasted forever. They always clear, and the flow of traffic returns to normal. Same goes for our lives. Life will always find a way of continuing. Like the concourse of a river, it will always find a way forward. 


So, turn your radio up, sing along and enjoy... Time, is on my hands - oh yes it is...


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com




Comments