You cannot buy yourself...

You can’t buy yourself on a high street. All you can buy is stuff to wear. 


Social media is now an extension of the glossy magazines in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. It has the power to trigger a perceived dystrophia about how we look. A feeling of underachieving in who we are. 


Social media is teaching us to compare our lives to those around us. Which quite frankly is bullshit. Honestly, why would you ever want to compare yourself to anyone else? Nobody is as good as you at being you. Simple really. 


Growing up at times I may not have got the best grades in school, this led to my parents comparing me to the children of their friends. This is such a toxic thing to do. Something that still haunts me to this very day. Luckily, as I approached my teenage years, I saw through this for the belittlement it was. I urge you if you have kids to never, ever do this. This very act of comparison will only ever leave your kids with the wonderment of whether they are good enough. 


Here’s the thing, it doesn’t matter! Honestly, it really doesn’t matter if you are different to someone else - in fact I absolutely applaud this. Encourage it. Promote the ability to think for yourself and not being afraid to be your own person. 


Encourage, promote, motivate, inspire - just never compare. 


It took me quite a while before I become comfortable with who I am. I guess I still have a hang up with how I look, but you know what I am dealing with that. I don’t care any more and that is the most empowering thing. The ability to be happy in your own skin. 


I know I have posted it before, but I hold this dear to my heart: 


You were born an original, so don’t die a copy...


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com




Comments