Stand up for respect

This week I have been reminded of the multi Oscar winning film The Green Mile. Mainly because this absolute masterpiece of a movie was released in 1999 and yet it only seems like a couple of years ago. 


For me the most magical thing about this film is the ability of being able to see the good in anyone. The way Tom Hanks character looks past the outer shell of a man on the borrowed time of death row to see the innocence and vulnerability of this giant of a man. The respect he shows him builds the emotion throughout the story.


The way the character John Coffey is mistreated is heartbreaking because even though this is ‘just a movie’, it happens everywhere, every day. People are mistreated by others because they are perceived to be an easy target. 


All too often the most vulnerable are those who are targeted. Why? Because they cannot or do not fight back. In a way I think this is the biggest show of strength because to not retaliate is to be the bigger person. 


In life those who know me know I don’t argue, or if someone is out to do me wrong I will stop it but I won’t lower myself to drop down to their level. I believe in respect, the first thing to remember is it starts with yourself. If you don’t have respect for yourself, you will struggle to be respectful to others. 


We are all so much more than that. We all should respect each other and be mindful of our actions. We need to make a stand for standing up for others. 


For standing up for respect. 


“I’m tired boss. But mostly I’m tired of people being ugly to each other”

(John Coffey - The Green Mile)



Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com




Comments