85 and not out...

On the 21st October 1934, in a rural town land of County Donegal, my mum was born. This week I was lucky enough to have helped her celebrate her 85th birthday. 


Whilst reaching 85 is a milestone that has become more commonplace with the advances of health care, and diet etc, there are still huge quantities of the population that won’t get to celebrate their 85th, sadly for many not even close. 


I guess because I am aware of what my mum has gone through over the years, I like the rest of my family are blessed to have her here today. Coming from a time when money was extremely limited, and she used to cycle to her job in Donegal town each day, a journey of roughly 3.5 miles each way - and a journey she reminds us all of regularly any time work or career is mentioned. But growing up on a farm, the only female other than her mother, who herself passed away when my mother was only 22 years old. She had a tough life, but happy too. Forever proof that money doesn’t buy you happiness.  


By default my brothers, sister and myself have reached into our 40’s and 50’s with mum still there to lecture us when needed (or not as the case may be). Again something we are all acutely aware of, as we have friends and loved ones who haven’t been as lucky. 


So if you have your mum still with you, no matter how old you are, or how much you think you know better, always remember that your mum survived a lot longer on the planet without you, than you have with her to keep you right. 


Give her a hug, tell her you love her and remember that you simply wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for her. For those who’s mothers are no longer with you; take a moment to be thankful for the woman she was and the person you’ve become today because of her. 


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com





Comments