Be Good, Do Good, Feel Good...


When is the last time you took part in a random act of kindness? 


In a world where we see the worst of humanity regularly raise its head, and the ugliness that society can bring through intolerance, ignorance and hatred, when’s the last time you done something ‘nice’ for someone else?


This week I got to take part in a random act of kindness in one of the depots where I work. They have a guy who comes every day to clean the offices and bathrooms. He is such a lovely guy, always cheery and always carries a smile as wide as the sun and every bit as bright. He cycles to work every day, regardless of how terrible the weather is. Even when he arrives soaked through, he is still cheery. I’ve joked with him about not knowing what rain is really like unless he moves to Northern Ireland, and that just made him smile more. So this week, I also found out he volunteers all his spare time at a hostel for homeless families and those who are trying to make a new start in life, for whatever reason their past may have led them to that sanctuary. This in itself is an incredibly noble thing to do, and I have the upmost respect for him for doing so. 


So what was the act of kindness you ask? A few of the guys at the depot have noticed how beat up and battered his bicycle is, and on Monday he’d asked one of the engineers if he could help him to get the brakes working. When he looked at the bike, he noticed it’s in a pretty bad state of disrepair. Almost unsafe, but like many people out there this guy is making the best of what he has, and doesn’t have the money to upgrade it. So this is where we as a collective come together. We had a collection and we have ordered him a new bicycle as a sign of our appreciation for him always bringing his cheer to the depot each and every day. 


I can’t wait to see the look on his face. I can already picture the sheer joy it will bring, so very much deserved. All for less than the cost of two cups of coffee to all involved. 


I know I have written about random acts of kindness previously, but it is so important for the world to generate them and to the recipient to benefit from them. The only rule is they should never be done with personal gain in mind. That way they aren’t kindness, they are a form of bartering. This defeats the object. 


The thing is we all have the capacity to bring a random act of kindness to someone’s day, who knows it may well bring it to their life. It’s not about monetary value either. It should be about doing something or giving something (even time) to someone to make their day or life a little easier. Do something that will make someone smile, because you know what - the smile it will bring you from the inside will be the most rewarding of all. 


It’s simple, be good, do good, feel good!


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com





Comments

  1. I'm from Alaska and I made a post on this subject. I did not realize it was in the UK. I apologize for my comment. The people of the UK are so generous and I'm so over so sorry I did not take the time to read the whole story. God bless the UK and their people. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I am so happy to have reached out to anyone who has read and shared the post.

      I hope you’ve enjoyed my words, and they bring you something in your week ahead.

      Kindest regards
      HappyDamnFriday

      Delete

Post a Comment