Baker Man, Baker Man...

Everyone who knows me knows I love to cook. I find it a way to express myself by being creative. There’s nothing to it more than I just love to be able to turn ingredients, and my ideas, into something that will give pleasure (and nourishment) to others. 


I’m incredibly critical of myself when I cook for others, not because I want praise or recognition, just that I want to be able to give them the best I can. Because I am giving a bit of me with every plate. 


It’s important to me. I guess because it should be? I grew up in a traditional Northern Irish family where mum cooked large meals, and no matter how little money we had we never went hungry. Food was something that brought us together and I think as a society we lose that today. Not intentionally, just that we are busier, we are working longer hours, we commute further to work, and we have many more demands of our time. 


This is why it is important to me when I cook for anyone to do it the best I can. It doesn’t matter if it’s a simple sandwich or a multi course meal, I treat it all with the same level of respect it deserved. 


So with this in mind I am always thankful to anyone who makes anything for me. It resonated with me last night as I thought about it, and it essentially boils down to one question: “Who bakes for the baker?”  The baker is merely metaphorical for anyone who provides for others.


I believe it is always better to give than to receive, but be open to the concept of others giving to you. Don’t be bought and don’t consciously let anyone give more than they can/should. But when you give, give your all, because when you do you are giving from the heart. Doesn’t matter if it’s a sandwich, a meal, a kind word, it all feeds the soul. So be the ‘baker’ whenever and however you can. 


Who feeds your soul when you are giving your all to others?


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com





Comments