Future Einstein’s...

So this week any of us who have school age kids will see them return to school after a very unusual year so far. For most, like my kids, physically attending school abruptly came to an end in March. The end of attending schools in person, but instead attending lessons online and having work set for them. This in itself is a huge challenge. Not just for the teachers to establish the methods of doing so, but more so for the pupils who are most likely having (mostly) unguided learning for the first times in their lives. 


Naturally with the return to school there is going to be apprehension. Not just the kids, but parents too. It’s about finding the balance of the world returning to what is as close to normal as we are ever going to get, and having the protective instinct of our children. 


We will always be protective of our kids, because they are the next generation of us. Think about that for a moment. Our kids are a bit of us carried forward for generations to come. It’s a pretty big deal when you think about it, and at the same time pretty damn cool to know a little bit of us will live on forever. 


With this, it’s got me thinking about how we interact with our kids. I’m not a perfect parent, I wish I was, but I’m not. But what I am is a Dad. I try my best at that in every way I can. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I get it wrong, but I try. And I suppose it’s got me thinking about a few basic guidelines I try to adopt in my head for what I think is my formula of trying to get it right. 


Listen: no matter how trivial it may seem, the fact that your child wants to tell you something, means that it’s important to them. Therefore it should be important to you too. Look them in the eyes and let them see that it matters to you too. 


Don’t compare them to others, whether siblings or friends. This is incredibly damaging as it makes them believe they aren’t good enough for you. 


Your kids are never too old for you to give them a hug. 


You are never too busy or too important for your kids to give you a hug. 


Remember your kids are most likely going to take on your beliefs. Make sure they are worth having. Racism, bigotry, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia are not on the list!


Love spending time together. Doesn’t matter if it’s just watching a movie or out and about. Savour those moments, as they get older, so too will these moments become rarer. Be good company for them so they enjoy hanging out with you. By being good company they too will be good company for those they meet through life. 


Love them because of who they are, not what society or your aspirations want them to be. Let them be their true self. That’s when they will shine. 


Smile, with your eyes - it’s easy to fake a smile, but nobody can fake a smile when it comes from the soul. 



Lastly, remember the words of Albert Einstein:


“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it’s ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid” 


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com




Comments