Take off your watch...

So last night as I was getting ready for bed, as with every single big in life I took my watch off and placed by the lamp on my bedside dresser. It’s only when I went to brush my teeth and come back into the room that I noticed it laying there. Pretty much in the same place each night; just to the front and slightly to the left of the lamp base. I’m not saying it’s ritually done like this, it more so just happens subconsciously. 


That’s what got me thinking. 


Every night I remove my watch and I place it somewhere I can pick it up in the morning and take it with me throughout the day. It’s also there if I wanted to pick it up during the night, but more so I have detached from it for the night. So what’s so great about that? Nothing I guess, other than tonight for the first time it made me think that it’s the same process of letting go and clearing our mind before we go to sleep. It’s the process of being able to set something down and yet know it is right there and in the morning, hopefully after a restful night, we can pick it right back up again. 


How many times have you gone to bed and not been able to switch off your mind because you simply haven’t set the thoughts to one side to allow yourself to ‘switch off’?


How many nights have you had where sleep seems so far away, and then when you finally fall exhausted into never land, you wake again almost as quickly because you’re tossing and turning and your brain isn’t giving your body and mind a chance to recharge. 


Never underestimate the power of rest. Many people have many different ways of switching off in preparation for sleep. It can be reading, watching tv or even meditating (my preferred method). What ever it is you need to do, do it because it is so important to be able to take off those thoughts and troubles, even if only til the morning. It needs to become part of your routine, and if you don’t have one take a couple of minutes each night to start one. The rested body and mind is a very powerful combination. 


So tonight, just as you are ready to welcome the sandman, don’t forget that there is a place for everything and everything in its place. This most definitely applies to our minds at night, when we don’t need our random thoughts or worries as we try to sleep, they should be tidied away until needed again in the morning. Placed on the dresser and ready for when you are. 


So please remember to ‘take off your watch’...



Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com

happydamnfriday@yahoo.com




Comments