Torn edges...

I have, and I openly admit to, a couple of OCD traits that are admittedly ridiculous, but they wind me up endlessly. Take for example people who put the toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round - if you think I’m wrong, check out the original patent drawings https://patents.google.com/patent/US465588A/en (I thank you, and I have been known to change it in other people’s houses). 


Another is stickers that aren’t peeled off fully. What kind of monster leaves half a sticker on anything. It’s has got to be all or nothing. Leaving it intact or dedicate your time to full removal. 


The other main one I have is one that I have found reminders of this week more than once. When I rip off a piece of kitchen paper or a piece of toilet roll, unless it rips cleanly, I find that I need to correct it. You know when you rip a sheet off and there’s a small corner left attached to the next full sheet. Sound familiar? It’s easy just to rip off the remnant of what is left. 


This got me thinking, what harm does it do - other than aesthetically...? In one respect you could argue that you’ve been short changed with the piece you have in your hand. But yet in that moment, even with my OCD view of it, you accept it - even if you end up ripping off the remaining piece and chucking it in the trash. So what if you turn the analogy on its head and think about all the times in life you’ve tried to move forward or change direction and in doing so you’ve had to rip yourself away to have the freedom of change. You know that there’s a chance that in doing so you may not remain intact; yet that doesn’t stop you from being purposeful, or being able to succeed. 


I suppose it’s about not being afraid to leave remnants of you behind for the purpose of being able to take yourself forward. Never be afraid to pull yourself free of a situation in order to bring yourself more you. To give yourself opportunities you’d never have had if you stayed still and were scared of changing, just in case you left a little bit behind. 


It doesn’t matter if the little bit ends up in the trash, as long as the big bit takes you where you need to go. 


We all have torn edges, but it doesn’t stop us becoming who we are...


Happy Damn Friday Peeps! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:


@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments

  1. I am left handed and the toilet roll holder is set up for a right handed person, I have had to train myself to wipe right handed is there an alternative?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment