A Rich Life…

You don’t need to be rich to have a rich and fulfilling life. We’ve all heard the saying “Money can’t buy happiness”. I am a firm believer of this. For many this seems like the most ridiculous thing ever, as they dream of their yachts, mansions and sports cars.  The thing is, whilst it would be pretty cool to have some of that stuff, it isn’t anything more than “stuff”. The best thing to consider when thinking about stuff is that ‘stuff’ doesn’t last, but memories do. 


It’s kind of the same thing when it comes to friends. If you look at any teenagers social medial account, chances are there are 100’s of ‘friends’. In some case well over 1000. Truth is, chances are they haven’t met more than 10%, and haven’t engaged in conversation with more than 20%. 


What you find as you get older, or certainly at the ripe old age of 48, is that your circle of friends doesn’t have to be so vast that it devalues itself. I have a small circle of real friends that I am proud to call friends. The same people I know will look out for me should the need ever occur, in the same way I would for them. Some are from over 40yrs ago, some are from within the last 10yrs and those in between, but the thing is it’s about quality instead of quantity. Those I hold dear mean a lot to me. You make me richer than I ever thought possible. And for that I thank you. 


Social media has kind of taken that away from the world. It encourages vast numbers of ‘friends’ but in reality it isn’t enriching to the lives of anyone involved. 


From the immortal words of Clarence in ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ No man is a failure who has friends. It doesn’t matter whether that 1 or 100. But when it gets to several hundred, then brings back the devaluation of friendship. 


So as you enjoy your New Year’s Eve, irrespective of where you find yourself, or with what restrictions are imposed, then look at how enriched and valuable your life truly is, especially because of those who you chose to interact with within it. If you have time, look at your ‘friends’ lists on social media, and perhaps think about who really should be on there. 


A rich life has nothing to do with money…


Happy Damn Friday! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments