Good Times, Bad Times…

This week, we again are seeing the worst atrocities being conducted with the invasion of Ukraine. We are only days into the invasion, yet already so many lives have been needlessly lost. 


I am fortunate. Actually I am very fortunate. I have not lived through world wars, but I have seen conflict. I have grown up in Northern Ireland during ‘The Troubles’. I have also seen other conflicts unfold around the world in Iraq, Iran, Gaza, Afghanistan, Croatia to name but a few, and now Ukraine. I am lucky because these I have watched from afar, through a digital screen, safe from the bombs, the bullets, the air strikes. It doesn’t make it any less real, but I am afforded safety. Safety that doesn’t come to the untold families currently frightened for their lives in Ukraine. Safety is something so many of us take for granted, yet for so many others it is a distant dream. 


I’m sure that many of us will follow the daily news bulletins, watching, listening and hopefully learning. I say learning, because I am a firm believer that no matter what the conflict, no matter what the war, we all can learn from it. And the biggest lesson to learn from it is to prevent it from happening again. If we don’t learn that, then we are failing ourselves and our fellow man. 


I wish I had the answers to stop this. I have logic and reason, but I do not have the answers. When a regime becomes corrupted by its own power, then by default others will undoubtedly suffer. This shouldn’t be the way of the world, but for as long as people strive for power, then alas it will remain so. 


When I said I have logic and reason, I have an open mind. There will always be right and wrong on every side, but when the drive to become more powerful takes over, then that is when logic and reason no longer exist. Because of this, it comes down to a very simple way of looking at it:


Whilst there will always be good times and bad times; there has never been a good war, or a bad peace…


Happy Damn Friday! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com



Comments