Hunting Mushrooms…

Randomly this week I had a childhood memory, being at my Uncle’s farm in Co Donegal and going to pick mushrooms early in the morning. Off we went through the fields with a plastic bag, and a short time later returned to the farmhouse kitchen with a bag bursting at the seams. 


Not sure if it’s this memory or not, but I’ve always loved mushrooms. Maybe, maybe not. 


Anyway, perhaps purely by coincidence I had been watching some of the Winter Olympics this week and the Russian cross country skier Alexander Bolshunov was noted by the commentators as having grown up in rural Russia and one of his favourite pastimes was to spend time in the woods and hunting mushrooms. Ok, so never having hear this expression before it immediately conjured up a mental image of Elmer Fudd, deftly stalking bugs bunny. But in this case, instead of the elusive back chatting rabbit, he was out to hunt down wiley mushrooms instead. 


So after a good 10mins of chuckling away to myself I had to Google “hunting mushrooms”. To my abject disappointment it was just another term for picking mushrooms. No dear stalker hat and no shotgun required. 


This then kind of got me thinking about back to when I was ‘hunting mushrooms’. A completely uncomplicated time. Perhaps the innocence of childhood; but more so the adventures that came with it. I loved my times in Donegal as a kid. All that open space, walking throw the fields across the farm. Climbing on my uncles tractor and basically loving the hijinks of youth. 


Everything was an adventure. Everywhere was a new kingdom to be explored. Maybe no dragons to be slated, but plenty of mushrooms to be hunted. 


So, I urge you to take a moment and think back to when you hunted mushrooms or had adventures that seemed like they would never end and for all the right reasons. Take back your memories and take that moment of happiness and hold it dear. 


The mind is like an umbrella - it’s most powerful when it’s open…


Happy Damn Friday! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments