Don’t Let Go…

Yesterday I had the heartbreak of my father passing away. A short, but aggressive illness took him. I guess the only way I can describe it is ‘surreal’. I knew it was coming, but the last couple of weeks spending countless hours as a family sitting with him, and then it happened. I watched his final breath, and then the merciful release as he ebbed away. 


I guess when you see someone you love in pain, you would do anything to be able to take it away. But at the same time not wanting to let go for all the reasons of fear of losing them. 


It is incredibly raw and whilst I’ve been building up to this day, the first time you speak those words “they’re gone” to someone else, it rips through you. However, the one thing that I have not been afraid of during this whole journey was losing him. Simply because I haven’t, and never will. 


He hasn’t gone away - he’s just not here. 


There are so many memories and stories to be told of antics relating to my father, that he will never be gone. He will always be there, and always be cherished for being the man I want to be. His outlook on life is one that we could all learn from. So easy going, despite tough times over the years with ill health and other struggles. He was humble and thankful for everything, and everyone in his life. Yet, he was the one person that everyone welcomed the sight of because he was always cheery, no matter what was going on. 


That positive outlook on life rubbed off on me a long time ago, and it has helped me though tough times myself in the past. It is also helping me at this very moment because whilst I am incredibly sad, I am extremely thankful. Thankful that I have so many happy memories to think of and to regale. And thankful for the man that has helped shaped me to become the man I am today. 


It has taught me to never let go of happiness, because it’s the one thing that you can give and you can receive in abundance, and yet it doesn’t cost a penny. 


So, no matter what you are facing today; please hold on to and remember these simple things:


You will be happy again

You will be ok again

You will always be loved


And, I’ll never let go….


Happy Damn Friday! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments