Love, Hugs & Cards…

On Sunday, we had Fathers Day. A day when kids give thanks to their dads. It can be an emotional day for many many reasons. For those who are longing to be fathers. Same too for those kids who long for their father too. For others, like myself it is a day when it is tinged with sadness, as it was the first since my father passed away. Though as much as there was sadness, it brought me comfort reflecting on the man my father was to me, and also to my brothers and sister too. 


As I get older, I try to take his outlook on life and carry it with me, with my heart on my sleeve as I step into each new day. 


I am lucky as I have two sons and a step son. And it shows that it’s a day not just for biological dads. It’s for the person who is there for the kid(s). It doesn’t even have to be a dad. I know a few mums that are mum and dad in every sense.  Same goes for step-parents and guardians too. Don’t go for conventional labelling, just because a card or a particular date in a calendar says so. They too should be celebrated. 


I guess it’s about finding the balance of how to be there for someone, and at the same time as they get older letting them realise that you are there for them - no matter what. 


Don’t judge your kid(s), and don’t compare them to others in a less than favourable manner.  Don’t be afraid to discipline, but do it in such a way that teaches. If you don’t teach as part of discipline, then you only break down the spirit of the kid. 


Hug your kid(s) and tell them you love them.  Never underestimate the importance of this. Even when they are getting older, tell them you love them - and mean it when you say it. If you don’t mean it - they will already know. 


Your kids look up to you. It is you that has the responsibility to maintain this. They start off thinking you’re perfect, but grow older knowing you’re perfect for them. 


I never thought that I was perfect, but I always thought I had a purpose. I’m still might be figuring it out - but I’m trying my best along the way…


Happy Damn Friday! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments