Little Triangles…


Previously I’ve talked about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. The concept of which is something that I think about regularly, and have done since I first learned about it as a student back in the early 1990’s. 


For those who have never heard about it, it essentially breaks down life into a pyramid of ‘needs’. Starting at the bottom and working your way up. 


Self-actualisation

Esteem

Love and belonging

Safety needs

Physiological needs


As we transcend each level, the concept of the needs change, as do we. As we satisfy the level below, we enable ourselves to reach toward self-actualisation and the desire to become the most that you can be. So why talk about it this week? Like I’ve already mentioned, this is something I think about regularly. It fascinates me and the ability to transcend is something that we all owe to ourselves. But only a small few do. 


I think to fully understand this, and to adapt it into our daily lives, we need to be very deliberate about the language we use when we approach a task, or problem. It’s easy to say “I want” as a means to hoping to get or achieve. But in reality “I want” is an empty promise to yourself. How many times have you said you wanted something, only to not get it, and to have been fine with not getting it - because, that’s just how it goes?


Change your mindset from “I want” to “I need”. Suddenly it becomes less complicated.  


Suddenly you are more driven. When we ‘need’ we are compelled by everything inside us to satisfy that need. That is your motivation, your inner strength and your clarity of mind that takes you up each level on the pyramid. 


Think of every task you face, on whatever level, as the need to move up each level of the pyramid. With each tier comes greater reward until you reach self-actualisation and the goal is achieved and the dream is realised, and all because you had a ‘need’ to go out there and get it. 


Everything can be broken down to a pyramid. It’s no coincidence that the shape of a pyramid is based on strength. The triangle is the strongest primary shape. 


The triangle is always strongest on the top, so now you know where you need to stand…


Happy Damn Friday! x

Simple messages to inspire, and generate happiness


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments