Gigs and Memories…

This week I got to do something pretty cool, and something I will treasure for the rest of my life. I got to take my youngest son Kai to his first ever live concert. 


As part of his 16th birthday gift I got him and me a pair of tickets to one of my all time favourite bands, the legendary Northern Irish punk band Stiff Little Fingers. Whilst Kai is starting out on his musical journey, he’s already been heavily influenced by the music I’ve listened to all his life. But what made it special is that as the concert went on, I could see the smile on his face getting bigger and bigger. Then afterwards, in his usual quiet and mild mannered way he turned to me and said “Thank you for bringing me to this Dad, it was so good”.


That made my day. 


Actually, that made more than just my day. It made me feel brilliant because I have given him a memory that he will carry forever. That is something that I too now will carry forever. Best of all, even though he didn’t know the words, he wasn’t embarrassed at me singing along at the top of my voice. He just got lost in the moment of watching the band, and seeing so many people around him just in the same zone. 


I’ve been going to concerts since I was 15yrs old, and I feel lost if I don’t have any on the horizon. Luckily, this is something that now as I am getting closer to 50, I can plan ahead and look forward to the next gig on my calendar. I had the same conversation with my son on the way home, and even though he’s just been to one concert I do believe he’s been bitten by the bug.


Never underestimate the power of live music. It unites, it heals and it brings so much joy. It makes you feel free, it’s infectious, it bridges generations and it makes you feel like someone. Make love music a part of your life, you won’t ever forget it. 


So, I will leave you with the simple but true words of Stiff Little Fingers: 


No one is a nobody,

Everyone is someone…


Happy Damn Friday! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments