Defined By A Number…

So in the last week I reached a significant milestone in my life. I turned 50 years young on Tuesday. Whilst I am sure there are many people reading this who are significantly younger, and many more who will be older - and not forgetting everyone in between. 


For the record, I am not particularly bothered about my birthday and haven’t been for many years, but it is still quite a milestone. Especially if you go back 50yrs beyond the year I was born where the average lifespan wasn’t that much older than I am today. And the lifespan of people I have known in this time who haven’t made it this far. 


Do I feel my age? Not at all. Not even close. Not that I’m going through some sort of mid-life crisis. More so that I’ve always found the concept of feeling ‘your age’ a bit bizarre. Why should you be defined by a number? 


In the next week I’m going to Download rock festival. Ok, the camping and lack of sleep is going to take its toll, but I cannot wait. Then in another couple of weeks I get to look forward to one of my presents when I get to go to Paris for another concert. My dear old dad used to always say “Run while you can”, as a teaching to make the most of your physicality and ability while you are able to do so. For each year that passes, and for every new ache and pain, that becomes more and more true. I do not intend to stop doing anything just because a number associated with my time on the planet may dictate so to others. 


10 years ago, on turning 40, I wrote a piece about “life begins at…”. At the time I made the point that life begins when you make it. Don’t wait for it to start, or you may just find it passes you by. 


So with regards to letting the number define my behaviour or my outlook, it isn’t going to happen. I can say that quite proudly too, as I mean it most sincerely. 


Besides; I don’t know how to act my age, I’ve never been this old before…



Happy Damn Friday! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments

  1. Brilliant no matter what age you are enjoy every day of your life. Happy Damn Friday to you and Ronnie ❤️XX❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment