Handle With Care…

Fragility is a state of mind, so please handle with care. Remember that there is difference between state of mind and mindset. A huge difference. 


I am a Mental Health First Aider. I chose to do this because I have experienced many people throughout life that have had battles with mental health issues, as I have too. 


The thing is the way we talk about it needs to change. Labelling is the first thing that needs to change. Instead of labelling, we should acknowledge. Doesn’t sound different, but believe me it’s a huge difference. It shouldn’t carry a stigma, but all too often it is seen as just that. Please believe me when I tell you that it isn’t and should never be made feel as such. 


Perhaps the difficulty lies in that when someone is having a tough time, they develop a way of concealing it. Though becoming more reserved, quieter and even tired are signs to be aware of from the exhaustion brought about by just getting through the day. I know that if I’m having a rough day I go quiet, I am very aware of it, but at the same time I sometimes hide it too. After all there’s no point in drawing attention to it, is there?


Actually, there is. But in the right way, with the right people who will listen without judging or without a preconceived notion of how ‘you should be feeling’. Always remember that you do not know what has brought someone’s mindset to where it is at any given moment in time. We can guess, and sometimes we may be spot on - but we can never know. That’s why empathy is so very important. 


Understanding starts with empathy,

Knowledge starts with understanding,

Support starts with knowledge,

Healing starts with support. 


A fragile state of mind can be found under the strongest suit of armour…


Happy Damn Friday! x


I'd love to hear from you - you can reach me on:

@happydamnfriday on Twitter

happydamnfriday@outlook.com




Comments